Thursday 13 October 2016

Pole, pole

Before agreeing to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro I knew nothing about it, maybe that's a good thing as otherwise I might not have agreed to it.  This does however, mean I am literally starting from scratch.  How do I book it? When shall I climb it?  Who should I book with?  Which route should I take?  What fitness training is best?  How much will it cost?  What should I wear?  Where do I wee?  So many questions.

Some people have commented on how long it is before I actually climb Kilimanjaro.  There is a Kilimanjaro mantra I have read many times -"pole, pole" (pronounced poley, poley).  In Swahili it means 'slowly, slowly' and is something the guides repeat throughout the climb.  It doesn't matter how long it takes you to get to the top, its not a race.  Taking it slowly slowly not only means you get to take in some spectacular scenery but it also gives you time to adjust to the altitude, minimising the likelihood of acute mountain sickness.

I would be heartbroken to get so far and potentially not reach the summit on the last night because of altitude sickness, exhaustion or bad preparation.  So I have decided to live by the mantra from day one, start as I mean to go on.  I'm in no rush and want to make sure I have done everything I can to be prepared for this - improve my fitness, do my research, get the right equipment, practise how to squat ;)......I really do need to start with the basics.

Thankfully a quick google search (other search engines are available) pointed me in the direction of Henry Stedman.  It's fair to say Henry is the polar opposite of me.  What he doesn't know about Kilimanjaro isn't worth knowing.  Henry has climbed the mountain many times and then some, taken each route up and is so passionate about it he has written a book, set up a website and generally spreads the word on what an amazing mountain this is.


Henry's book has become one of my trusted companions, as has his website....so imagine how happy I was to see that you could contact him directly for help (which of course I did!!).  Henry gave me lots of information in addition to that available in his book, and that was more personal to me.  He was able to recommend the most suitable route, the best time of year and even a guide that fitted with what we were looking for...that in turn led to the climb being booked!

If you want to find out more about Kilimanjaro or are interested in climbing it yourself I can highly recommend Henry and his vast array of knowledge and enthusiasm.  Everything you need to know can be found on www.climbmountkilimanjaro.com - including details of his book, the ONLY book in my opinion!

No comments:

Post a Comment