Monday 6 November 2017

The Pennines

Last weekend we visited my sister Vikki for a walk through the Pennines, a range of mountains and hills in North England.  Often described as the "backbone of England" the Pennines form more or less a continuous range stretching northwards from the Peak District in the northern Midlands, through the South Pennines, Yorkshire Dales and North Pennines up to the Tyne Gap.

L-R: Vikki, Michael, Graham...and me!
The walk Vikki & Michael had planned for us took around six hours, it included every terrain possible and was great training for me as it had lots and lots of steep bits.  We set off in proper Yorkshire weather - wind and rain.  We continued in proper Yorkshire weather, and at the end the day it was a typical Yorkshire day - windy and wet.

But that didn't put us off - onwards and upwards.



We stopped for lunch at a lovely secluded waterfall and enjoyed a picnic before heading back through the trees, around the rocks, up the slopes and most importantly to the pub at the end.


Coming back we walked through a National Trust area and walked a different route, along the river.  It was a beautiful walk but made that much harder by the weather.  Most of the walk was on rocks, which were very slippery from all the rain.  Every step needed to be carefully planned so you didn't slip - we did see the mountain rescue truck speed past at one point so it wasn't a lovely day for everyone unfortunately.


In total we walked 16.7 km, thats 25,134 steps.  In total I burned 1,142 calories so felt I had earned the cold, refreshing beer (and proper toilet) waiting for me at the end.

In contrast, I'm writing this blog post from the Maldives.  Hot and sticky, where you want to stay inside for different reasons, spending the day dreaming of the air conditioning.

This is my last 'treat' before the big climb so I'm making the most of it.  However, the all inclusive meals are proving a challenge.  I'm managing to maintain my high protein diet and have been continuing with my daily planks - I even packed my gym kit and have been weight training in the hotel gym.

That said, I'm not going to deprive myself of some of the luxuries the Maldives has to offer.....this is my view whilst writing this post from the decking of my beach bungalow.  It is not at all like the views I will get on Kilimanjaro, I love the diverse nature and cultures of the world, we should be doing everything we can to protect it.


It's not too late to sponsor me - every penny counts and is gratefully received!!


No comments:

Post a Comment