Friday 9 March 2018

Day Seven - Millenium Camp to Mweka Gate

This was it - the last day.  Back to civilisation.  But there was one more important Kilimanjaro tradition to experience before we set off.  The Kilimanjaro Song.

To celebrate a successful climb to the summit, the porters sing three songs to the trekkers.  I have done a previous post about the Kilimanjaro Song so go find it of you want to see the translation of the words, it was posted in April 2017.  A short section is shown below:

Jambo, jambo Bwana (Hello, hello Sir)
Habari gani (How are you?)
Mzuri sana (Very fine)
Wageni, mwakaribishwa (Foreigners, you're welcome)
Kilimanjaro, hakuna matata (Kilimanjaro, there is no problem)

Tembea pole pole, hakuna matata (Walk slowly, slowly, no problem)
Utafika salama, hakuna matata (You'll get there safe, no problem)
Kunywa maji mengi, hakuna matata (Drink plenty of water, no problem)

After breakfast we all gathered outside the mess tent.  The porters also gathered and led by Laurent they serenaded us.  After singing they all came round to congratulate each of us for successfully reaching the summit.

To watch a short clip of the the song please click here.

High fives all round - meet the porters here.

Once the festivities were over we were off again.  Leaving camp for the last time we set off, ready for a walk of a different kind.  Going down was hard on my knees and toes.  I stepped sideways every chance I had to give my toes a break from being pushed in to the front of my boots.  My faithful poles  were yet again a vital extension to my arms.  Going down was hard.
Susie and Bob on the way down
Posing for a photo with the summit in the background.
David tackling the steep, slippery walk down

Part way down we stopped at the camp that was the alternative for us the night before.  I'm so glad Deo decided to let us stop higher up the hill rather than have to walk the additional two hours to this camp, especially given the heavy hail storm!  Here we got to use the toilets and have a proper rest in what was the last of the official stops on the route down.

Final 'official' camp stop.
Deo could see that I was struggling to keep up with the others.  Previous problems with my knees meant that I just had to go slower.  But going too slow was actually difficult for everyone else.  So we split,  Jacob took the others ahead to walk down at a quicker pace.  I took a more leisurely pace with Deo.

My legs felt like jelly most of the way down, I was pleased that Deo had suggested splitting up.  It gave me the space to walk at my own pace.  I didn't feel I was holding anyone up and spoiling their experience of the mountain.  I could just stroll through the woods and think about the day before.

Making way for the porters
Sevens days together and friends for life - Susie & Bob head down
About 40 minutes from the end Deo had a little surprise for me.  There was a car picking us up for the last bit of the decent.  Now I know I should have chosen to walk, but given I wasn't with the rest of the team, and my knees were killing me I was more than happy to get in the car.  On the way down I had ended up walking at the same pace as another couple, she was called Lisa and was around my age so we hit it off straight away.  When we got to the resting point where the car was coming, she wished me well and went to keep walking - her guide stopped her and said that he too had booked the car to pick them up for the last bit.

The point of the climb was to reach the top, which I did, so I didn't feel bad at all about saving my legs!  The car came and, well, it wasn't a car - it was an old ambulance!  So we climbed in (with our guides) and spent the short drive down to the meeting point planning what ailments we were going to have when climbing out the back of the ambulance.  Anyway - it was all done in good humour, as it was just an old car that hadn't had its paintwork re-done.

It was great to see Susie, Bob and David again, as well as the "The End" signs!!  How nice to know I was going to sleep in a normal bed, but I was still a bit sad that the whole adventure was over.

The end!
We got back on the bus to be welcomed by the crew - we were off to Moshi for lunch.  Once we had eaten we were presented with our certificates by Deo.  It really did feel final then.  I wanted to do it all again - immediately (until I started to walk....).

Back on the bus and back to the hotel for showers.  That was it.  Kilimanjaro was over......this time round anyway! 😉🏔

Deo presenting me with my summit certificate
At last the boots could come off - and they haven't been worn since!

No comments:

Post a Comment