Monday 16 January 2017

Break Point - Going Beyond

Happy New Year!  This is it.  January.  Twelve months to go to the big climb and now the real work begins.

For anyone new to my blog (welcome!), I'm climbing Mount Kilimanjaro in January 2018.  Why?  A  number of reasons really.  I love travelling, I love Africa, I needed to challenge myself, I needed something to focus my mind, a goal.....oh and I want raise shed loads of cash for a cause very close to my heart!

To give you a bit of background, until a few years ago I did very little physical activity (OK none).  In my late twenties I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis, a major flare up left me wheelchair bound for nine months and needing help doing the most basic of everyday tasks such as brushing my teeth and eating due the state of my joints - including every knuckle.....and even my jaw!  It took a good few years to get over it and get back to a 'normal' state but it has left me with permanent damage in my joints, particularly my knees.

I have to confess that I have been guilty of using this as an excuse to sit on my bum and do nothing.  BUT life really is too short.  And the only thing stopping me from living mine in the way I wanted was me.  I got over it.  I realised that I can do anything I put my mind to.  I just needed to accept that I will have to do it my way, at my pace and in my own time.

So what did I do to kick-start my years training?  I didn't start with something simple, I didn't break myself in gently, I went to Break Point, I went beyond.

Me and the lovely Ollie
BREAK-POINT is the brain child of Matt 'Ollie' Ollerton and Jason Fox - two of the instructors from the TV show SAS:Who Dares Wins.  The BREAK-POINT team use performance tools and insights developed from special forces expertise to show people they can be stronger, fitter and healthier than they ever thought possible.

I was lucky enough to win Ollie in a charity auction 😊....but it wasn't like that.....Ollie had donated half a days training for four people - so off I set to find three willing volunteers and on Saturday we had one of the best days ever.  Challenge, determination, laughter, team work, new skills, fitness, beautiful scenery, inspiration, action - the list goes on.

The day started like every Saturday morning should, a nice cup of tea and a chat with Ollie and Efrem (who appeared in Series Two of SAS: Who Dares Wins).  It was great to hear about the experiences these two gents have had, what drives them, what inspires them and what they had in store for us for the day!

L-R: Efrem, me, Ollie, Karen, Susie, Caroline
Once the formalities were over we were straight outside for some fitness training.  Ollie wasted no time in getting us moving.  Running, squats, climbers, push ups, lunges, you name it we did it.  Ollie had put a set of exercises together that built up over time - a set of one, then a set of two, a set of three etc etc.  It was a great way not just to keep track of what you were doing but a way to track your progress.  I think I managed eight rounds of the first set of exercises - I may have not managed a full set of ten but at least I have something to work towards and what an effective way to take small steps, one round at a time to improvement.  I'll get to ten sets soon and then can work towards 15.

Ollie putting us through our paces
I was a little nervous about the day as I knew I would be the least fit person there.   I didn't want to slow the others down and ruin their experience of the day but Ollie was great at adapting things to suit our individuals abilities - without making you feel bad.  And actually being last at everything has just motivated me to keep pushing and do more.  I wasn't there to compete with anyone, I wasn't there to win.  I was with friends and it didn't matter to me that I was the slowest as I was still doing it, one step at a time.  My Yoga teacher often says "listen to your body" and I wasn't about to injure myself just to keep up.....I was respecting my knees!

After being put through our paces we were back inside for a quick outfit change and on to the next thing.  Ollie talked us through packing our kits and he and Efrem were very patient as us four girls took over the office getting changed, swapping boots and loading our kits....and then we were off for a yomp!

The BREAK-POINT office is set in beautiful surroundings right in the middle of the Ashdown Forest.  It really was the perfect setting for a 'stroll' with your friends.  There was a bit of snow on the ground at certain points which just added to the experience, it really was amazing....OK, if you remove the steep climbs, the heavy kit bag, the many trip hazards and the pounding, burning pain that hit my knees every step of the way..... perfect training for Kilimanjaro!

The team in action
It wasn't until we were really close to the end that I had my mini melt down.  My knees had had enough and we had one more climb to do to get back to the office, where tea, biscuits and more importantly, the toilet, were waiting.  Susie, who I am climbing Kilimanjaro with, was with me all the way - at this point she stopped with the motivational "we've done x number of steps" or "we've walked x miles" and simply said "you're in the middle of a forest - how on earth do you expect to get out of this without walking!!" Anyway, I made it back in one piece, with sore legs but a whole lot of motivation to get stuck in to twelve months of focused training.

Its not about reaching the summit, its about putting your foot on the base and starting - and my starting pistol has fired.


And now for my Oscars speech:

Firstly big thanks to Laura at BREAK-POINT for her great organisation skills and her flexibility & patience while we sorted logistics, dates and attendees.

Thanks to Efrem for supporting us on the day, being the warm, smiling face of encouragement, the extra oomph needed at times and for being the perfect gentleman by offering to carry my kit! (He didn't carry it, but the offer was there!)

Thanks to my 'team' for humoring my need to do something a little different, for coming along and getting out of the day what it was you were looking for.  For not huffing when I was holding you up....again, and for letting me off carrying any 'additional kit' for the majority of the climb.  Next time I'll take it all the way, I promise.

And finally, of course, thanks to the main man Ollie.  A true gentleman, an inspiration.  Not just his fitness but his drive, focus and enthusiasm.  For showing that anything is possible, for making his dreams a reality and for his selfless desire to help others achieve. Still my favourite (sorry Foxy!).

No comments:

Post a Comment