Monday 29 May 2017

Getting to know the Thames

I haven't posted much recently about my training, mainly because there isn't much to say at this stage.  As I have a full year to get ready for the climb I am spending the first six months working on my general fitness levels, focusing more on specific 'mountain climbing' training for the second half of the year.

This weekend I have started to look in to what training is needed to prepare for a climb, all I can say is *!#@.  I have looked at a few training plans but will be following the one recommended by the trekking company I am going with.  It actually only starts 12 weeks before the climb date so I don't need to get too focused on that training just yet, but keep going on improving my general fitness, it will all help!!

My current training consists of:
  • Personal Training - 1x a week
  • Yoga - 1x a week
  • Kettle Bells and/or Leg, Bum & Tums - 1x a week (alternate weeks)
  • Fight Klub - 1x a week
  • Totally shredded - 1x a week
  • Plank - 1x a day (I'm still going!)
In addition, I have cut out the lifts in favour of stairs and am walking to/from work (25 mins each way) weather permitting.  I have also been having some 'advanced clinical massage' to really focus on getting rid of any knots, trigger points and tightness in my muscles.  This massage isn't relaxing at all but has done wonders in reducing any pain in my lower back - and the associated stretches have given me a much wider range of movement in my legs, enabling me to push myself further when training.

The training I am doing is not only helping me shift a few unwanted pounds but is improving my strength & flexibility and most importantly is giving my heart and lungs a good workout to prepare them for the altitude - I'm sure you can imagine that the higher I go the more important it is that I can breathe!


So whilst the first stage of my training is all about the cardio the second part will be 'endurance' all the way.  The recommended training plan will build up my ability to move day in day out, something that will be important as I can't take a day off half way up the hill!  It builds up over the weeks, increasing the time I spend walking and hill climbing bit by bit as well as adding in weight.  Lets not forget I will be doing the climb with a bag on my back!

So to get me going, and to ensure I don't get bored walking the same route day in, day out, I have started looking at options and targets along the way.  I have just signed up to complete the 25k Thames Bridge Trek in September.  The Thames Bridge Trek is a 25k route along the River Thames in London that is completed by crossing 16 bridges along the way.  That gives me a few months to build up to a 25k trek.



I started to familiarise myself with the Thames by going for a walk today along the Thames a little closer to home.  Caversham to Sonning and back again.  This was around 11k so not quite half the distance but I have time....


The best bit about needing to walk a lot is getting to take in some of the beautiful sights the English countryside has to offer.   I'm determined to be fit enough that the climb won't be a struggle for me - I don't want to be panting and stopping every two minutes for a rest - I want to be able to take in the sights of the African wilderness, to breathe in the warm muggy air and to know that every bit of pain I go through this year was totally worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment